SEO is the process of improving the visibility of the site and ranking it higher in SERPs. If you’re having an e-commerce website and running an online store then you surely want to rank higher. According to a study, 60% of the traffic comes from the top three positions only. You should at least land on the top three positions for the given set of queries to drive traffic and conversions. It is important to outperform the competitors and rank higher than them.
Step by Step Guide for E-commerce SEO
Step 1 – Research
Research and creating a right strategy is important for an E-commerce SEO of a website. You should perform two important types of research- Keyword Research and Competitor Research.
It is important to select the keywords based on search volume, relevance and keyword difficulty. For an e-commerce website, it is important to research the keywords for home and products page. Remember you should not choose the broad keywords as you will end up having high bounce rates and low conversion rates. The reason is simple people aren’t able to find the right products which they are searching. For instance, Instead of using “Silver Alloy Necklaces”, you can use “Buy Silver Alloy Necklace for Women Online in Best Prices” This title is optimized and people get all the information just looking at it.
You should create a blog and target long tail keywords to rank on the #1 position on Google. Blogs also help in educating the buyers providing value instead of performing direct promotions on social media. Focus on writing a great content for the blogs which people want to read and share.
Avoid Keyword Cannibalization which occurs when you focus one keyword for multiple pages and it weakens the ranking as Google doesn’t know which page to rank for a particular keyword.
Search the competitors and analyze the key metrics such as PA, DA, Traffic, Backlinks, Citation flow and Trust flow. Compare these metrics and prepare an e-commerce SEO strategy to improve them to stay ahead in the competition. Perform the backlink analysis and identify the links and domain which are popular and yielding the results. You can utilize them for link building activities. This will help to improve the domain and page authority.
Step 2 – Identify Current Problems
Perform the website SEO analysis and identify the errors. You can use screaming frog spider to perform the site audit. The errors can be of the following types-
1. 404 error Page Not Found- Rectify these errors by providing 301 permanent redirection
2. Update duplicate Meta titles, Meta descriptions, and duplicate content pages.
By rectifying these errors, you can improve the SEO and overall usability and conversion rates.
Speed is a crucial factor in the ecommerce website. Optimize the speed of the site by minifying the JS and CSS scripts. You can also use the content delivery network to load the site extremely fast and improve the user experience.
Step 3- On Page Optimization
On Page, Optimization includes all the activities which are performed on the site to improve the visibility of the search engines. It is the most important part of e-commerce SEO.
1. Keyword Optimization- Research keywords and utilize them in the page title, meta titles, and descriptions, URLs, headers, subheaders, product descriptions, image file names, image ALT tags. The Meta title and descriptions should not be over-optimized with keywords. Make it attractive and readable in order to improve the click-through rates. Therefore instead of making it stuffed with keywords and direct promotion, try to provide value and benefits to the users.
2. Site Structure- It is important to provide the proper navigation for easy accessibility to the site which follows a proper hierarchy as shown in the image below.
3. Internal Linking- It helps in linking the pages within your website through rich anchor text. This is necessary to avoid the high bounce rates.
4. Usability- It is the key to the better user experience which can result in spending more time on the site. Provide proper navigation and optimize the site to load quickly.
5. Mobile Version of the Site- You can’t boost the sales if your site is not optimized for the mobile. People are highly active on mobile and if your site is mobile friendly then you can maximize the conversions.
6. Customer Reviews- It helps to earn the trust of customers before making the purchase decision. This also increases the credibility and authority of the site. Ask your loyal customer to rate or provide reviews.
7. Social Media Integration- Add social sharing buttons on the product pages, blog post, and home page to share the products with friends on social media and encourage more sales.
Step 4- Link building
This is most important part of e-commerce SEO as inbound links will improve the authority of the site and rankings in SERPs. You can earn the high-quality links from guest posting, share infographics, a research study, relationship link building. Try to build the links on authoritative sites and focus on quality rather than quantity.
Step 5- Add a Blog
Make your Blog section informative targeting other than the main keywords of the site. Don’t stuff the keywords and instead use them naturally in the content. If you have a jewelry outlet then you can make the posts like “Reasons to buy silver alloy jewelry”
Step 6- Local Business Tips
If you’re having a local business then it is essential to building the citations including the Name, Address, Phone Number and website on the web. The NAP should be consistent across the web. This helps in appearing the site higher in the local 3 pack results.
Step 7- Measurement and Analysis
This is a crucial part of the e-commerce SEO to improve the performance of the site and boost sales. Add the site in Google Analytics and measure the results. Set the goals and add thank you page to track the conversions. Add the checkout process in the funnels to see where the customers are existing in the checkout process. Try to improve the user experience and convert the leads into buyers when they add the products to the cart.